Jun 13, 2007

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

I ordered a new light tent kit to try to help with my photography. I have previously tried many inexpensive or free tips to improve my photography, but I felt it was time to take the next step. Here is the light tent set I bought, set up on my husbands workbench in the basement:I took some pictures of a bracelet I made so I could show the customer...I was thrilled with the detail I could get clearly, but not so thrilled that the white background looked anything but white.


So, I set out to run an experiment to determine the correct camera settings to get the whitest background and still have true colors to the item. I tested a variety of settings of the white balance and the exposure value. I also tested a setting on the camera called "vivid color". My camera is a Nikon Coolpix L3. Here is a link to see all of the pictures from this part of the experiment: http://magscrafts.googlepages.com/cameratest1

Here is the best picture from this section of the test:

It was taken using a feature on the white balance menu of my camera called "White balance preset".
Then I decided I still had a bit of a grey tint to my background so I set my camera on white balance preset, then took another series of pictures varying the exposure value (EV). Here is a link to all of the pictures in this test: http://magscrafts.googlepages.com/cameratest%40

Here is the best picture:

Still not totally white, but I'll take it for my first day with the new setup, and the pictures are definitely usable.

Now it is time to make some stuff so I can take pictures!





2 comments:

Micki said...

Just visiting from the machine felting yahoo group. Your jewelry is great. Reading about your photo trials. Just a thought, it looks like the wood tone of your husbands workbench is showing through the bottom of the light tent. Maybe if you had something white underneath, it might help you get the results you want.
Mind if I ask where you purchased the tent?

Maggie said...

Thanks for the advice! I will try a piece of white posterboard underneath in my next pictures.

I bought my light tent on ebay.