Mar 11, 2010

Flashback Friday-

Awww...Look at Maggie, the sweet innocent first communion girl of about 1970. Don't let her fool you! I remember this photo op well, and she was being the biggest brat ever! Brownie camp had started the night before, and my mom was to drive a carload of us up later after we made our First Communion. I was very impatient to get on the road and my dad kept promising, "Just one more shot."

I have been thinking a lot lately about what it means to be a good person, daughter, sister, mother, wife. And about how you can ever be all of those at the same time. My pastor sent me a card the other day, referring to the fact that I am in that "sandwich" phase, where we try to juggle the needs of our spouses and kids with the needs of our aging parents. I am not sure it can be done. So I stew, as I sit with my 80 year old mother in the nursing home I promised her years ago I would not send her to, while my husband does the school transportation that I agreed to do back when we chose the perfect-in-every-way-for-our-boy-except-so-far-away school. Like the Maggie in the photo, maybe I can convince them all I am "good" if I paste on an innocent smile.

6 comments:

Devon said...

I'm sure you're doing the best you can... and that's what matters most! :)

Tia Colleen said...

Oh Maggie, I can't imagine what you are going through. Well, I can, but I try not to. I know that for me, that future is years and years away, and hopefully will never happen, but for you, its all in the here and now, and very real.

I think you're an amazing person. And being an amazing person isn't easy. I'm sure whatever your exact situation, it will all work out. You can't please everybody.

Good luck. I really hope that things work out the way they're meant to.

Maggie said...

Aww thanks for the comments. I was feeling a bit melancholy last night sitting here alone in my mom's house looking at old photos, but I had a good sleep now and am ready to face whatever life throws my way!

Tara Beaulieu said...

(((Mags!))) Missing you terribly. I know you hate this, but you are brave and you are strong. You are doing what's best (and safest!) for your mom and you know that. We've talked at length about this before and I was thinking this is where you were at when I didn't hear from you.

When you find a good home (and I'm guessing you did) they will also be there to support YOU not just your mom. You'll all figure this out together.

Know you are in my prayers! :)

Adrienne said...

Hi Maggie!

I found your blog through Tias Follow Friday post. We used to talk on the Etsy forums back in the day. I think you sent me your moms zig zag attachment for my sewing machine.

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a hard time with your mom. I watched my mom go through the same thing with her mom a few years ago and it was very difficult. It's so easy to get negative but hopefully you have lots of friends & family who will help pick you up when you need the extra support.

Maggie said...

Good to hear from you, Adrienne! Hope the zig zag worked out for you. Thanks for your support, I have gotten a bit more positive about things since I posted.