Mar 14, 2013

Mojo Piecing is Done!

I have been sewing along with the Something New Sampler, and I made 6 blocks using some hand dyed solids I had and a white muslin background.  As I pieced my blocks into a quilt I named it Mojo- for my hopes that the whole process would help me get my quilting mojo back.  I drew a rough sketch, but ended up sort of improvising- measuring one large area of piecing, and using that to calculate how to piece the section that needed to connect to it.  I wanted large areas of open space because I wanted to use this project for practicing machine quilting.

So here's Mojo:

Some area that I might have thought would line up didn't- for example the two blocks in the center column.  Since they were accidently trimmed to two different sizes, it is probably just as well.  The white background fabric does not even all match.  And I notice just now that I am missing a piece of black stripe.  I think just going on and not getting bogged down in all of this is crucial in getting my sewing mojo back.  Plus, because it is for machine quilting practice, if I made the top too perfect, I would be afraid to mess it up by doing any adventurous quilting- I know this is the reason why nearly everything so far has been quilted with a grid using a walking foot.

In this photo you can see my rough sketch, and the multitude of math problems I scribbled.  The book is the one I am going to reference for my quilting.  I will be quilting in 3 pieces, as my sewing area is very small and it is too hard to quilt something this big.

Here's the fabric for the back, it makes me so happy just to look at it.  I wish I had bought more, I feel like I am going to be short.  I like pieced backs so I will be ok with that too.

I think Mojo has brought back my quilting mojo!

Linking up with The Cute Life for everyone's samplers!

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

Looks great, can't wait to see how you quilt it!

Sooli said...

Glad to see your graph pad looks a bit like mine, although I think yours is neater! Your quilt looks great and I love your backing fabric, lovely and colourful. I'll be a while before I start quilting mine as I don't have anything right for the back and I need to buy some batting. I don't need mine finished till Christmas though so that's good!

vexa said...

Nice bright colors! Well done.

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

I love your layout - they remind me of lollipops for some reason! I'm looking forward to seeing how you quilt it :)

Evelyn said...

I'm soooo impressed!