I finished all of the piecing last week on Matt's quilt for college, and sewed the blocks together. I left the quilt in four roughly equal parts, and will quilt them separately and then sew them together. I used this method once on a hand quilted quilt, and for the life of me can't remember why I did that. But for this one, my sewing area is very small and I quilt with a normal home sewing machine. I just find that I make a major mess of it if I try to quilt anything much larger than a crib quilt.
For this quilt I am quilting mostly along the seams in the blocks, and then some additional straight line echo quilting, all with a walking foot. I am using an Aurifil thread, in a color that I thought was dark grey in the store, but sometimes looks a little blue. I think whatever color it is, it works with this quilt.