Mar 7, 2014

On The Needles Friday March 7, 2014

I seem to be in a sock knitting frenzy! I am part of a group on Ravelry with plans to knit our way through Stephanie van der Linden's new book Op Art Socks. To accomplish this, we will be starting a new pair each month, and we have 2 months to complete each pair.  That leaves a bit of overlap, and leads to multiple socks on the needles even if one isn't a magpie who must cast on all the shiny socks!

So the Feb/March sock from the book is Necker which I am knitting in a fabulous blue/grey colorway called Atlantic from Tanis Fiber Arts.  I got this yarn as a prize in a previous knitalong, but it was so nice to work with that once I cast on these socks, I pretty much immediately ordered the same yarn in two additional colors.

Then I got an email from The Loopy Ewe with a new challenge.  I just had to jump on that bandwagon.  The challenge was to knit with a multicolored yarn.  I ordered some Colinette Jitterbug in the Sweet Dreams colorway, and cast on Gaudete, which is another pattern by Stephanie van der Linden (not in the Op Art book though.)  The construction on these socks is not like any other I have ever knit...


I am actually much further along on both of these socks, but don't have newer photos.

A couple of days ago, I received my Celtic Swan dpns that I got in a swap- I knit socks, Molly sent me needles.  I got the US size 1 bronze dpns.  They are truly beautiful needles, but I was worried that they might be too heavy.  I am a loose knitter, and metal needles often fall out of my work. These are made with some lovely texturing towards the center of each needle, and that works wonders for helping the needles grip the stitches. They still slide smoothly along when you need them to, but the needles do not fall out of the work.  Even in those first few rows that are always touch and go with socks on dpns!  I am loving working with these needles, but I think they will be my at home project, because I don't want to chance losing one!

Anyway, I cast on the Op Art sock for March/April to try out my needles- Herrmann.  This is a cool colorwork sock, with a braid on the cuff.  I am really enjoying it so far, in fact it was hard to put it down for other things with pending deadlines, but I will.



I am happy to report that I did finish my coat for Fearless February- I just need to get a photo shoot done.  It is so hard to get a good weather day and a good hair day to happen on the same day!  Anyway, Fearless February has been extended through March, so I might get brave and tackle trousers.

Linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times for On the Needles...

1 comment:

Judy S. said...

You do have a lot of socks going! No time to get bored, right? I am anxious to see how that pink-multi one turns out; it looks interesting.