Jun 24, 2013

A Baby Quilt

Well, it's a quilt for my baby, anyway, but since he is  6 foot 6 and off to college, it won't be baby sized.  Here at home, my boy sleeps under a tshirt quilt, but since they are toddler tshirts, I offered to make him a new quilt with other shirts he had collected over the years. Then as we looked through the tshirts we had saved, it became clear that he is wanting to look forward, not so much to hold on to his past.  So I had him pick some fabrics, and a pattern from a book I have.

I started cutting yesterday:
The black number print centers and the solid black corners remain constant. The atomic structure prints will alternate between inner and outer frames. The blues and greys will vary with different pieces from this bundle I bought:
I've been giving this new cutting mat and ergonomic rotary cutter and it is really much easier on my hands then the old set I had.  It is made by Martelli, and I highly recommend it. You really need much less pressure on either the ruler or the cutter.
I haven't done any sewing yet, but I have this little pile of "kits" all ready to go:
Linking up with Patchwork Times for design wall Monday. Also linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love the block and colors, it's going to be perfect for him!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

That's fantastic! I'm sure he will love it. If not, I do. :D

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

It looks like a good collection of fabrics for your son's quilt. A nice way to keep your pieces organised until you have time to sew each block together.