May 19, 2014

Wardrobe Project: Coat

I looked back and realized it has been forever since I updated the wardrobe project!  The main reason for this is lack of photography.  Between crappy weather, camera issues and major mental issue around body image, I have not gotten photos of my finished items.  I have made 3 pairs of pants, 6 tops and a coat, so I will work on taking some photos so I can share them here.

First up, I made a coat!

Last Fall I attended the funeral of an old family friend, and as I froze standing in the parking lot to talk to the family, I realized I needed a coat suitable to wear for such occasions.  The fleece I had been wearing was not appropriate for every setting!

I used Vogue pattern 8754, with adjustments for fit.  The fabric is a wool blend, and may be a little lightweight or too drapey for this style.  This can be seen by how many wrinkles it gets when I put my hand in the pocket:

The front is self lined, the back and sleeves are lined with black cotton broadcloth.

I love the buttons, which were purchased at G Street Fabrics, in Rockville, MD.

Back view:

Overall, I am pretty happy with it.  I finished it at the end of February, pretty much when I didn't need a winter coat anymore, but I will be ready when the weather next turns cold!

1 comment:

weaverpat said...

Maggie, I love the coat!
Please show more of the wardrobe project. I need to start one of my own and you encourage me with your success.
I understand what you mean about not having appropriate clothing for certain occasions. I certainly hope there are no such events in my life because jeans and a black t-shirt just won't work!
I'm impressed!!!
Keep updating with pictures, please!