Jun 24, 2011

Flalshback Friday- The Who is that Edition

As you get older, it gets harder to flash back with any degree of accuracy. My classmates and I are turning 49 this year. We have recently reconnected through Facebook. One of our friends lives in Colorado these days, and she mentioned a few months back that she would be in NJ in early July if we wanted to get together. This led to much planning, and not a little bit of reminiscing.

So I posted this photo:It is from the Kingsmen Indoor Colorguard of West Deptford, NJ. We were at the big championship in 1980 in Wildwood, NJ at the convention center. After this the details get sketchy, and the Facebook comments got hysterical. If you never marched color guard, suffice it to say that it takes hours and hours of practice to get your show as perfect as you can. And some of us had been marching together for 4 years at this point. At the time, it was the most desperately important thing to us. But evidently, since then, ZAP all memory of events has left our collective brains. Not only could we not recognize each other, we could not even recognize OURSELVES. Some of us could not even remember for sure if we had even been in it that year!

I wanted to tell my kids about this phenomenon, let them know that these things that cause so much stress for them now will someday just be a distant semi-memory. My kids are guys though, so this conversation would just make them look at me like I am crazy or something.

The fuzzy brain kids in the photo turned out ok- among us we have a school board member, a music store owner, an advertising exec. I just hope we come out of our fog enough to talk to each other at our get together.

If you want to join in on Flashback Fridays, check out Heya, Sparky for details. Or click the block below.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Ooo! I was in colorguard too! I still have my gloves in a memory box with other high school pictures. And I really wish I would have believed when my mom would tell me the same thing. :)

Thanks for linking up, it's so nice to meet you. See ya next week?

Carolyn said...

My memory is shot, but I was able to pick out a few people! I wasn't in Wildwood that year, but had still watched you march for most of the year. I'm amazed at how many people who marched back then are still involved in guard!