May 19, 2015

SWAP Pattern Roundup- Butterick 5049

Because I have such issues getting photos, I don't get my sewn items up on this blog.  I am going to try to be better about that going forward, but for now I will be blogging about the things I have made in the past.

First, Butterick 5049, which is a Connie Crawford dress pattern.  This pattern has a clever feature, which involves an alternative sleeve pattern for larger biceps.  I knew for sure I wanted to use this!  When you use the alternate sleeve, you also replace the bodice part of the dress so that the armholes will match the sleeve.

I first made this dress in a black/brown printed mystery fabric.  I wanted a new dress for my niece's wedding, and hoped this would be a wearable muslin. Hopefully this picture will give you some idea of the print.  The fabric was most definitely a polyester of some sort.

I did french seams throughout.  I used self bias to finish the neckline, and some mystery vintage binding from a yard sale to hem the sleeves.  (This turned out to be a mistake, I think this trim shrunk upon washing.) The dress was indeed wearable.  It was slightly tight across the back, so my arm did not move comfortably. I wore it with my first Pearl Jacket, and I thought it looked great together.   I did not get a photo of me in the dress.  Even though I had prewashed the fabric, it seems like it gets smaller with each washing.  Also, where it is tight in the back, the seams are tearing.

On to the "good" version.  I did the broad back adjustment as noted in Fit for Real People.  I ordered some wonderful rayon challis from Vogue Fabrics.  Once again I did french seams thoughout, and this time I finished the armhole seams with SnugHug.  I used some lovely lace trim for the hems on the dress and the sleeves.

I wore this version of the dress on Easter, and I love the fit and I think it will be a great summer dress! ( I won't wear the tights, they were necessary on chilly Easter though!  I have a new pair of light brown cute shoes I will wear them with now that the weather is warm.


I have another piece of rayon challis, and I am thinking about using the top part of this dress, but then doing a gathered skirt instead.

No comments: