Jun 16, 2015

Butterick 5222 Pants

Way back when I was finishing up my SWAP sewing at the end of April, I decided to sew a new to me pattern on the last sewing day!  I had some time ago bought Butterick 5222, which is a Connie Crawford pattern up to 6x. I had a piece of a grey mystery fabric from our trip to the Goodville Fabric Outlet.

My hip measurement put me into a size 4x.  My waist is bigger, but I measured the pattern paper and it seemed like the waist would fit ok.  I added an inch to the crotch length front and back.  I added many inches to the leg length.  I sewed up this version without the pockets, because I wanted to be able to easily alter the side seams.

They started out huge! This photo is after much fabric has been removed from the side seams!  Also, they are way too long in the crotch.  I cut off part of my waist darts as well as the fly in order to lower the waistband some.  They are reasonable wearable, definitely not brag worthy.

I made version 2 last week, as part of my entry into the Pattern Review Plus Size contest.  I used a brown cotton twill from JoAnn's.  I took all of the length I had added to the crotch back out.  I also folded out about an inch down the center of both the front and back pattern pieces.  (This meant I had to redraw one of the darts on the front piece.) I made them capri length.

I planned to add the pockets, so I basted this pair together.  What I discovered was that because the waist was hitting closer to my actual waist, where I am bigger, I had removed too much ease.  To make sure the capris fit at the waist, I added a gusset to each of the side front pieces, tapering to nothing at the hip.  This supplied the ease I needed, and as an added bonus, looked a bit like a design feature associated with the pockets!

On both the first and second versions, I made an elasticized waistband as explained in Pants for Real People.  I finished all of the exposed seams with my sewing machine's overcast stitch.

I think this version turned out much better!

For my next attempt, I will add back the waist ease, but taper to nothing by the hips, and keep the leg ease folded out.

For the contest I also made a pink and cream textured striped knit boat neck top, using my PMB pattern.  I also made a hairband to match!

1 comment:

Fabrickated Kate said...

All your hard work is beginning to pay off Maggie. It is marvellous to have patterns that fit so you can just use them without all the fiddling and faffing that is normally involved. Well done you.