I mentioned in a few previous posts that I purchased Wild Ginger PatternMaster Boutique Software (PMB). I decided to try to use the software to try to generate some top patterns for SWAP. I will add a disclaimer at this point- the instructions tell you that the first thing you are to do is make two fitting garments- pants and a dress. I have yet to make these garments. So I really am not complaining about the fact that I am finding all the "tweaks" that I need the hard way. I also could have saved myself some trouble by comparing the patterns I generated to the tshirt pattern I had been using.
So the first shirt pattern I generated was a sweetheart neckline tee. I chose the "tshirt" option under type of blouse. This turned out to be a problem. To me it seems that tshirt in this software means huge amounts of ease. Essentially I took about 4 inches out of each side by resewing the entire underarm seam from the hem of the sleeve to the hem of the shirt. I ended up with a wearable shirt, but I just tossed the pattern afterwards. (and the neckline is slightly wide, I think I will add some loops to keep my bra straps from showing!)
At that point I decided that I would try a boat neck top. I had some nice pink cotton jersey from Stylish Fabrics. This shirt had some major issues. The sleeve cap seemed way too high, and the shoulder seems were very narrow. I definitely have broad shoulders, and I needed to correct for that. So I regenerated the pattern with wider shoulder seams, and took out some of the height in the sleeve cap. I had enough fabric to make part of the shirt, so what I did was cut off the bottom of the old shirt, remake the shirt from the unused fabric, but only to just below the bust. Then I sewed the new top piece to the old bottom, and topstitched with my twin needle. (This top was my first time using twin needles!)